Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween and the Media

Since tomorrow is Halloween, I work with children, and it's my favorite holiday ever- I wanted to dedicate a post to my observations while costume shopping. Dressing up as a ghost, a mummy, or a witch are the classic Halloween costumes. The occasional pumpkin or cowgirl is thrown in there too. I was in shock to find so many costumes based on pop cultural advertising.

The search began when one my of girl friends had the ridiculous idea to dress up as the Fanta girls. That has advertisement written all over it. "if the Fanta girls are hot, we can be hot to." It was a little silly. The costume that truly took the spot for me when a baby at the day care that I work at dressed up as one of the little babies in a Coppertone sun tan lotion commercial. Sure it was cute- but again a little ridiculous. Who knew advertising would effect Halloween costume choice.

Another observation I made this Halloween is the truth behind Lindsay Lohans comment in Mean Girls that Halloween costumes for girls are anything made slutty. I for one dressed up as Dora the Explorer. My friends were the classic "sexy nurse", "sexy school girl", and "sexy referee." I almost fell into the trap of degrading women's self image on Halloween. I, or a day, considered dressing up as a "slutty Dora." Lucky for me I realized fast that I was being ridiculous.

No comments: